01202 676789

enquiries@carter.poole.sch.uk

Childline CEOP BH14 9JY Google Map

Art and Design

Welcome to Carter Art and Design Department.

‘Why Art and Design?...'

  • For self-expression.
  • For imaginative thinking and problem solving.
  • For visual literacy.
  • For skill and dexterity.
  • For analytical and research skills.
  • For increased perception and aesthetic awareness
  • For appreciation and understanding of your own and others' cultures.

Key Stage 3

At Key Stage 3 we aim to provide a series of stimulating projects which provide our students with opportunities to explore new materials and techniques, whilst developing knowledge and understanding and preparing them for GCSE Art should they chose that path.  In year 7 they build the foundation skills in the formal elements of line, tone, colour, shape, texture and form. Projects are linked into their year 7 curriculum looking at topics such as recycling.  In Years 8 and 9 students develop their artistic skills and knowledge as well as their creativity. This is delivered through a range of projects where pupils will explore; ceramics, sculpture, canvas painting, drawing and printing projects. Pupils will research and learn about Art from other Cultures as well as other Artists and Craft practitioners.

Key Stage 4

At GCSE students follow the AQA Art and Design course. This qualification enables our students to develop a range of skills in painting, drawing, photography, ceramics and mixed media. The course is made up of 2 coursework units and a controlled assessment unit, in which students have 2 months to prepare for a 10 hour practical Art exam. The 2 coursework units are worth 60% of the marks in the final GCSE assessment; the remaining 40% of the grade comes from the exam unit. Please follow this link to the AQA website for further information.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/art-and-design/gcse/art-and-design-4200

How can you help?

  • Homework for KS3 is set fortnightly and should take at least 30 minutes. A range of drawing materials at home including colouring pencils would be beneficial.
  • Homework for KS4 is set every week and should take a minimum of 1 hour. A wider range of art resources at home including paints would be beneficial. An Art pack is available to buy from the Art Department at the beginning of the year at minimal cost which will provide everything required.
  • Encourage them to make visits to galleries and places of aesthetic interest.
  •  Join the local library so that they can take out appropriate books or research.

If you would like to discuss the work that we do or further information about the Art and Design curriculum then please contact Mrs K Richmond at Richmondk@carter.poole.sch.uk or Mrs H Pratt at PrattH@carter.poole.sch.uk

Revision

GCSE Curriculum Overview Art 2015-2016.pdf 435KB GCSE Curriculum Overview Art
Art KS3 Curriculum Overview.pdf 368KB KS3 Curriculum Overview
©2017 Carter Community School

Carter Community School is part of United Learning. United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12.
Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB. Tel: 01832 864 444
Freedom of Information and Financial Accountability

United Learning