Students at Carter Community School are encouraged to become independent learners. We believe homework supports this and therefore it is our policy to set homework. The purpose of homework is to embed, develop and enrich learning that has taken place during lesson.
In years 7 and 8, each subject area will set a piece of work that students should spend approximately ½ hour on to complete. Throughout the course of the week this leads to around 1 hour per evening completing homework. (
In year 9, each subject area will set a piece of work that students should spend approximately 45 mins on to complete. Throughout the course of the week this leads to around 1 and a half hours per evening completing homework.
At Key Stage 4, each subject area will set a piece of work that the students should spend between 1hour and 1hour 30 mins completing. Throughout the course of the week this leads to around 1 hour 30 mins per evening completing homework.
- Setting, collecting, marking and recording progress in accordance with school policy.
- Homework can be reviewed through teacher and peer or self assessment.
- Ensuring that all students record homework accurately in their planners.
- Homework tasks should have been considered and planned in advance of the lesson, in line with schemes of work. Homework tasks should be related to subject programmes of study and “finishing off” class work should be avoided wherever possible.
- Homework tasks should be clearly explained to the class and homework should be set at the start of the lesson.
- Homework will be marked and feedback should be in sufficient detail to enable the student to improve.
- Homework should be set according to the homework timetable
- Ensure students write “homework” as a heading at the start of each piece of work done as homework.
- Celebrate students’ success by sharing student homework on displays around the school
- Write “homework” as a heading at the start of each piece of work done as homework.
- Asking staff if homework is not clear.
- Completing planners accurately, with sufficient detail to allow the student to complete the homework to a good standard.
- Undertaking all homework tasks to the best of his/her ability.
- Giving in homework at the specified times.
- To attend homework club if help or support is required
- Focus on presentation to ensure that all work is completed to the highest standard.
- To ensure that students undertake all tasks as recorded in their planners and to sign planners ready for the Form Tutor to check.
- To inform the Form Tutor/Class teacher when students have had difficulty completing homework e.g. owing to family circumstances