01202 676789


Childline CEOP BH14 9JY Google Map

Media Studies

Media Studies develops an understanding into the products we consume in everyday life, whether it is on the television, on our mobile phones or in a newspaper. One of the key foci is the importance of a target audience and how these products are designed to acquire it. Whilst analyzing these products and their conventions, students are tasked to design different media products from music videos, magazines, video games and film & television. They must take all of their knowledge that they learn into consideration in order to fulfil the criteria required to succeed in this course.

Students undertake the Single Award and have to complete three pieces of coursework (which makes up 60% of their final grade, one of which involves the manufacturing of a media product. At the end of the course is an exam which makes up the remaining 40%.

This year the students are completing their coursework on: Moving Image; Promotion of Music and Magazines.

The end of year exam topic for this year is Television News.

If you would like to discuss the work that we do or further information about the Media Studies curriculum then please contact Miss C Symons at SymonsC@carter.poole.sch.uk


Media KS4 Curriculum Overview.pdf 398KB KS4 Curriculum Overview
Media Knowledge Organiser THEORIES.pdf 590KB Theories Knowledge Organiser
Media Knowledge Organiser MOCK.pdf 475KB Mock Exam Knowledge Organiser
©2019 Carter Community School

Carter Community School is part of United Learning. United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12.
Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB. Tel: 01832 864 444
Financial Accountability and Freedom of Information  | Terms, Cookies and Privacy

United Learning